Monday, February 21, 2011

jusqu'ici ça va (So Far So Good)

Actually, the title of this post should be so far so great but I don't know how to say that in French. Be forewarned, this post is going to be sort of boring and mundane since i just describe where I'm living/going to school etc.

I arrived Saturday morning around 9 am, and was driven in a shuttle van to the 11th arrondissement, where my host mom Myriel lives. Even the van ride was different, it was a shared van, and the driver stopped for gas on the way, without any warning. Finally after about a 30 minute drive from Charles-de-Gaulle Airport, the driver drops me off and points to the building where I will be staying. He doesn't help my with my bags so I have to figure out how to cross a busy intersection with two suitcases and a small carryon on my own.  I somehow manage to climb to the second floor (the first floor in french)  where Myriel greets me, takes one look at my bags, and says "woah." At this point, I'm thinking I brought to much... 

Myriel est tres sympa (nice), shes probly around 50 years old, and is very very beautiful. She only speaks to me in French, and since I am rusty to say the least, communicating has been kind of challenging. When I first met her she had on these insanely cool red and grey printed pants, and she told me they were made by Jean Paul Gaultier. Once she uttered those three words, I knew were were going to get along 

Her apartment is small, one kitchen the size of my bathroom at home, maybe even smaller, one living room, one bathroom, and two bedrooms. To say Myriel is obsessed with Africa is an understatement. There are decorations from africa all over the place, even the toilet seat is leopard print. 

My room is very cute, and its actually decent in size, I have my own desk, a twin size bed and a very very tiny closet. 

After unpacking, I went to meet my Parisienne friend Manon, near the Eiffel Tower. Having no idea how to use the metro, Myriel tried to explain it and even walked with me to the stop since she needed to go to the St. Germaine. The France transportation system is incredible, it is so simple, efficient, and easy to understand. Luckily I live within a block of  two different metro lines. 

Sunday I had my orientation at one of my program directors apartments. There are only ten of us on the program and the directors, Jessica and Katie, are young, fun, and super knowledgeable about not only the history of art, but also the history of Paris. 

I had my first classes today at the Institut Catholique de Paris, a university where french and international students study. My French classes are three hours long starting at 9 am Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. From 1:30 to 4:30 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I have class with either Jessica of Katie. Monday and Tuesday classes are in the Catho, but the Wednesday and Thursday classes are all class visits (to the louvre, le musee d'orsay, versailles, monet's garden etc.), so it should be completely amazing. I will keep you updated on all of that when the time comes. 

So now I'm home, and Myriel and I are going to eat dinner around 8h30. I dont know what I am going to do tonight, I am so exhausted, I barely slept last night even though I tried to go to bed at 10 pm. I must be jet lagged still. 

Sorry for the lame post I promise the next ones will be tres interessant! Also please ignore the grammar/spelling errors, its been a long day

à bientôt, 

Emily  



No comments:

Post a Comment